Henry B. Snyder · 1979
Henry Burgess Snyder, editor and publisher, was born on April 25, 1824 in Waverly, Ohio. Upon completion of his preparatory studies, he entered Drury College in Springfield, Missouri; and Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, being the recipient of the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1908.
He married Mary Rennels of New York on January 15, 1930 and were the parents of a son, Henry Burgess, Jr.
Snyder served as the editor and publisher of the Urbana, Ohio "Citizen," from 1908 until 1909. In 1910, Henry Snyder and his brother, J.R. Snyder, purchased controlling interest in the Gary Printing and Publishing Co., publishers of the "Post." Eventually they bought the remaining stock, taking over the Gary "Post."
Snyder was the editor of the Gary "Post" from 1910 to 1921 and was editor of the Gary "Post-Tribune" from 1912 until 1950. He was publisher and editor of the "Post-Tribune" from 1950 until 1962, when he became President and Chairman of the Board of the Gary "Post-Tribune."
Snyder held many positions outside of his editorial duties and was very involved in civic, business and community services. In 1915, Snyder was appointed by President Woodrow Wilson as Gary’s second postmaster and served in that capacity for five years. He was an organizer and president emeritus of the Gary Urban League and helped organize the committee of 100 from greater Gary. He was a member of the Gary Chamber of Commerce, director of Gary National Bank, a member of Zeta Psi and Sigma Delta Chi professional fraternity.
On the state level he was a member of the Indiana Fine Arts Commission and a member of the Beatty Memorial Hospital’s advisory committee. Snyder also owned radio station WFTH in Gary.
He was independent in his political affiliation and was a member of the Methodist Church.
Henry Burgess Snyder, editor and co-owner of the Gary "Post-Tribune," was believed to have drowned in Lake Michigan, January 2, 1967 at the age of 83.